Removing water from your basement is a complex process. Leaving moisture in your basement can cause an array of complications, like mold and ruined flooring. Fortunately, using equipment to remove water from your basement dries your house faster and prevents damage. Keep reading to learn how to remove unwanted water from your home.
High Performance Sump Pump Combo System
WiFi Enabled Back-up Sump Pump (Platinum)
WiFi Enabled Back-up Sump Pump (Plus)
4 Steps to Take When You Find Water in Your Basement
Here are four tips on how to remove water from your basement:
1. Prioritize Safety First
Unwanted water in your basement can contain sewage and other contaminants. Another concern is the possibility of structural damage. If heavy rains or bursting pipes expose the structural elements of your home to floodwater, they can become unstable. When that happens, being in your basement is dangerous.
Flooding also poses the risk of electrocution. If the water level covers electrical outlets, cut the power to those terminals before touching the water. If water blocks your path to the main breaker, call a professional immediately for help.
2. Find the Source
Once you’ve determined it’s safe to be in your basement, try to find the source of the water. Some sources are more challenging to identify than others, but each one can create major complications for your home. A few of the most common causes of basement flooding are:
- Location: You’re more likely to find unwanted water in your home if the ground near your home is at the bottom of a slope.
- Precipitation: Heavy rainfall or rapidly melting snow can leave you with a wet basement.
- Cracks and gaps: Cracks in your home’s foundation or issues with sealing the walls and floor leave your house vulnerable to unwanted water.
- Leaks: Leaking pipes can cause flooding if left unrepaired.
- Malfunctioning systems: Problems with your sewer or issues with your sump pump can also lead to flooding.
3. Pump It out With Zoeller at Home Sump Pumps
Sump pump uses and applications include removing water from your basement safely and efficiently. They work by pumping unwanted water out of your basement and channeling it to a septic tank or sewage system. Equipment like this is useful for homeowners who experience frequent flooding.
Some benefits of using a sump pump from Zoeller at Home include:
- Removing humidity
- Preventing mildew and mold
- Avoiding electrical problems and fire hazards
4. Remove Furniture and Materials That Could Have Mold
Chairs with cushions or upholstery, carpeting and rugs, and boxes of stored belongings like papers or photos are vulnerable to mold. Air your items out until they’re fully dry. Some items may need a professional cleaning, even if they dry well.
It’s important to monitor permanent materials like wood, drywall and insulation. You may need to replace those elements of your home if they cannot dry thoroughly. Mold can grow within 48 hours of flooding, so you need to act quickly.
Trust Sump Pumps From Zoeller at Home to Get Unwanted Water Out
Flooding happens. When it does, drying out your basement is crucial to preventing damage and keeping your family safe. Remove unwanted water from your house with a sump pump from Zoeller at Home. Find a retailer near you or contact us online today!